Claypot Tofu [A Healthy Pot]

Claypot_Tofu_2

Today's quick lunch for J, claypot tofu cooked with Japanese egg-tofu. I personally do not like egg-tofu that much, find it too egg-y. In general, I do love tofu. Not sure it is because of genetic or what, both old and little boys at our home love tofu so much. T will be very happy if I prepare his favourite tofu dish, a very simple tofu dish that I am shy to share the "recipe" here.


For this dish, I added tinny bit of hot bean paste (辣豆瓣酱) to enhance the taste. The spiciness was acceptable by J, if cooking for myself I will add more hot bean paste for sure. Yeah, I finally put my vegetable cutters in use after sitting in my pantry for more than a year.

Claypot_Tofu_1

Ingredients (2 servings):
1 tube Japanese egg tofu
1 tbsp corn starch (±)
Oil for deep-frying

100g broccoli + carrot
100g straw mushroom, halved
½ tbsp cooking oil
1 slice ginger
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ tsp hot bean paste
1 cup water (±)
Salt to taste

50g sliced lean meat
1 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp shaoxing wine
½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp corn starch

Methods:

  1. Marinate meat for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cut tofu into desired serving size then coat with corn flour lightly and deep-fry with medium heat till golden brown. Drain and set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a small claypot, stir in ginger and garlic. Fry until the aroma is released then add in hot bean paste. Cook for few seconds, add in water and bring to boil.
  4. Add in straw mushroom, meat and broccoli. When it boils again, add salt to taste then add in tofu.
  5. Remove from heat and serve warm with steamed rice.

Cook's Notes:

  1. Add more meat if desired.
  2. Other types of tofu can also be used in this dish.
  3. For healthier version, omit the frying tofu step.
  4. Add some corn starch solution to thicken up the gravy further if desired.

Mushroom_Straw

Straw Mushroom

Comments

  1. I love this dish, tofu and mushroom are always my favourite :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish is always a hit with kids, they love the soft tofu and I love the mushrooms lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the way you pay attention to the details, esp the carrot in different shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice dish, and I will try it soon! But as a newbie cook, I don't have much pots and pans in my house. Can the normal saucepan do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean,
    Sure you can cook in saucepan.
    cheers,
    Lyda

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for my ignorance but what is hot bean paste? I would love to try cooking this dish cos' my hubby loves tofu dishes too but I am a bad cook. hehe... thanks for sharing your many recipes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie,

    Hot bean paste aka chili bean paste is made with fermented soybeans and red chili. It is originated from Sichuan (China) most common dish cooked with this paste is Mapo Tofu.

    It is usually sold in a small jar like jam, can be found easily in hypermarket in Malaysia/Singapore. If you are in overseas, try oriental shop.

    All the best... and there is no bad cook as long as you like cooking.

    cheers,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lydia,

    Thank you so much for explaining in detailed.

    I will continue to experiment other dishes of yours. :) Thank you very much for sharing them step by step!! :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to cook claypot tofu for my family too, but normally I will add in green peas instead of broccoli.

    Anyway, it is a dish that loves by most kids (I guess), coz it has nice gravy to serve with the plain taste of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lydia,

    Can I use other sauce beside hot bean paste?thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ong Leh Hong,
    Sure you can use other sauce or just omit it since only small amount is used in this recipe. Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I know where to get the interesting veg cutter?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)